With over 4.49 billion individual web pages floating around the internet today, having a reliable web page hosting service is one of the most important things you need to take care of first — in fact, if you don’t have a website hosting service, you won’t be able to share your web page with others! Here’s just a brief guide to website hosting companies:
- After you finish putting together a website, you have to publish it through a website hosting company in order to share it on the internet. Your website is stored on a big computer server, which connects to the internet; whenever an internet user types in the URL of your website, the network will connect to that particular server and get the file (which you created and stored there) that links to your website.
- Many website hosting services also provide customers with optional page building and editing features, which is a great way to ensure that you’re getting the most out of your website — and your hosting service — as possible.
- There are different types of website hosting servers available, but the most popular one today is a cloud hosting service. The “cloud” refers to a virtual space that hosting companies provide, and it’s a little more complicated than traditional single server hosting services. With a cloud hosting service, you have a huge amount of this “space” available, and the network pulls from multiple servers and multiple data locations.
- Cloud hosting services are really beneficial for companies and entrepreneurs who want to build up complex websites, but it’s also useful for companies that want a little extra security for their website and want some extra backup help in case the physical server goes offline.
- Last but not least, probably the biggest advantage of a cloud hosting service for anyone is that it functions more like a pay-as-you-go service — you only pay for the capacity that you use, rather than paying a flat fee, so when business is slow, you won’t end up losing too much money.